Nurserve Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Nurserve and Nursing Community Postings > Interview Help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Interview advice please!

Uniform Dating
 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
marieann1983 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote marieann1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interview advice please!
    Posted: 27 August 2007 at 3:36pm
Hi
Just wondered if anyone could give me a bit of advice for my interview? I only got a letter on Thursday to say my interview is this week but I really don't know what to expect and what they expect from me .

My course is for Manchester Uni (hopefully!)

I know it sounds silly but I don't know how much indepth medical stuff (if any) I need and what on and I think I'm just getting all worked up !!!!

Any help would be great!

Thank you so much

Marie x   
welshgirl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote welshgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2007 at 6:34pm
Hi Marie Ann,

Is it adult your interview is for? When I was interviewed they asked me why adult nursing? How did I think I would cope with the changes in lifestyle, What is the adult nurses role, things like that, hope this helps
karen59 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote karen59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2007 at 9:25pm
Hi Marieanne, looking back at my own interview i will try and give some pointers which I hope will prepare you without scaring you.

in interviews especially if there is a panel, if you struggle with any questions there is usually one person on the panel whom will help to prompt you. Thing is only answer what you know or understand. If they ask a question you misshear or do not understand ask them to repeat or explain.

Scenarios are often used, situations and how would you deal with them (not trick questions), they are just after knowing you have good common sense, know your own limitations and that you recognise there may be situations (some one going A1 from the ward, person you feel may be at risk)where you have to get advice from senior staff.

Be yourself, don't pretend you know the answer if you dont and say that you hope the training will equip you on how to deal with situations.

They may ask what you see as your strengths and weaknesses (you can sayyou have life experiences i.e as parent, memeber of family, as role model..depending on what actually app;ies to you, strenghts can also include good at communication, working as individual or as memeber of team. weakness can be 'you lack certain skills or care experience but are willing to learn and give commitment. Always if asked to give a weakness you see in yourself, follow it with how that weakness can become a strength.

Whatever comes up in your interview, stay calm, be confident but not over confident and address the person/people on the interview team.

very best of luck, karen
mary View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2007 at 6:53pm
MMMMM i was not asked any of that. I did ask my friend what she was asked in her interview ( this is for the same trust) she gave me so scenarios and my friends gave me pointers too. I got up at 5.30am to look and memorise the lot and guess what??? none of it came up. I also looked on the net of what type of questions may come up in nurse interviews and guess what?? none of it came up. The interview I got was very informal and you dont know what questions come up because they are never the same. Of course I never got the job I got very uncomfortable about what they were asking. The university do not prepare you for interviews. The interviews for nursing are very impersonal and donot ask you about your achievments etc. Each trust asks their own set of questions.
ELAINE
mary View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2007 at 6:56pm
if your not happy about your interview and feed back report it to the RCN they need to know what is going on out their.
ELAINE
welshgirl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote welshgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2007 at 9:29pm
She was asking for tips for getting into uni not for a job, Mary
 Post Reply Post Reply