Nurserve Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Nurserve and Nursing Community Postings > Newbie introductions - Welcome!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Hello

Uniform Dating
 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
welshgirl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote welshgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello
    Posted: 27 August 2007 at 7:44pm
Hey everyone,

I'm about to start my first year of an adult nursing degree, look forward to speaking to you all
slka View Drop Down

Quote slka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2007 at 3:31pm
Good Luck
Pure Maiden View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Pure Maiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2007 at 8:32pm
Hello welshgirl and slka, I hope that your first year will prove challenging....in a good way! I loved my first year and it was the best year, looking back now

I made lots of new friends and finally got myself some independance and although I thought I could not do it, I could and it was a struggle, but worth it!

welshgirl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote welshgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2007 at 7:59pm
Thanks Pure Maiden, not long to go now, only 10 days till i'm officially a student nurse
mary View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2007 at 12:27pm
Well i went to an agency today. Its in Sutton Coldfield with the understanding i was going to be taken on their books as a newly qualified nurse and guess what??? I was told that i needed 6 months experience. Apparently i was told by the agency they have alot of newly qualified in the same situation as myself. They have been employed Guess what as HEALTH CARE ASSISTANTS with the hope of an hospital taking them on as a RGN. I dont think so sounds like cheap labour to me. The pin number i have by the NMC only lasts for a year. So what do I do???? The agency said that they cannot understand why so many students are being taken on as their are no jobs for them when they finish their course. I am an over qualified Health Care Assistant. Do you know that a Clerk on the ward earns two thousand more than me. I want to know if other students who have just qualified are in the same situation.       
ELAINE
mary View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2007 at 12:41pm
if you want names of agencys and hospitals i have applied to and have been told this information i am happy to tell you.    

I THINK YOU ALL NEED TO KNOW THE SITUATION OUT THEIR BECAUSE THE UNIVERSITIES FOR SOME REASON ARE NOT INFORMING THE STUDENTS OF THE BAD SITUATION THAT NEWLY QUALIFIED ARE LEFT IN WHEN THEIR BURSARY FINISHES AND THEY ARE LEFT TO FIEND FOR THEMSELVES THINKING THAT THEY ARE AUTOMATICALLY GOING TO GET THEIR DREAM JOB AT THE END OF ALL THE HARD WORK YOU PUT INTO THE COURSE.

PLEASE PLEASE CONTACT THE AGENCYS AND HOSPITALS TO FIND OUT THE SITUATION BEFORE YOU GO ANY FURTHER INTO THE COURSE. IF I KNEW ALL THIS BEFORE I STARTED MY NURSING DIPLOMA I WOULD NOT OF BOTHERED. DONT LET THE HOSPITALS USE YOU FOR CHEAP LABOUR EITHER TO SAVE THE WARDS FROM EMPLOYING PROPER STAFF. THE PLACEMENTS THAT YOU WORK HARD ON DO NOT COUNT AS WORK EXPERIENCE TO EMPLOYERS AS I HAVE NOW FOUND OUT. IF YOU DO CONTINUE THE COURSE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ANOTHER JOB AS A BACK UP YOUR GOING TO NEED IT.      
ELAINE
welshgirl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote welshgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2007 at 8:00pm
I appreciate your advice Mary, but I live in a different part of the country to you and NQ's have been able to find jobs where I live. In 3 years time when I hopefully qualify, the situation may be different, no one can predict the future. It's sad that you are unable to find a job at the moment but others still want to follow their dreams.
karen59 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote karen59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2007 at 7:40am
Elaine (mary) in cheshire area where I live, BUPA homes are taking on newly qualified staff and providing full support and pre-ceptorship. I agree that the job situation is difficult, i have friends whom have just finished their training (including niece and best mate) and their search goes on, but never give up.

When people ask me about whether they should train I say the qualification helps you get work, not alwasy in the way you hope, but having gone through training does show a commitment and good companies will employ newly qualified staff, its a case of looking around, never giving up, being assertive and take work that may not be first choice.

Maybe the private sector is best way to go, agencies do tend to require experience and I cna understand that to a point (as you could be sent to work at a unit where you are in charge of that unit/ward and the agencies need to know trianed staff have worked and had perceptorship first, its safety reasons for them and for YOU.

Trust me when I qualifed as a nurse, just because I had done my training, it did not mean I was a nurse, 8 years on i am still learning to be anurse, you start learning after you qualify.

be lucky and persistant.

karen

karen59 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote karen59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2007 at 7:43am
Welshgirl, best of luck with your trianing, no course we do is ever wasted, the training does change you like pure has said, you gian confidence etc.

Enjoy it, make friends, enjoy student life and 'you go girl'.

karen
davidswift111 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote davidswift111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2007 at 10:29am
Karen Iam not going to Chester Birmingham UCE.

Dave.
welshgirl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote welshgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2007 at 3:55pm
Thank You Karen
mary View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2007 at 9:41pm
Im just explaining what it is like here down in Birmingham. The Health Authorities down this way have made it very difficult to acquire any training they are setting points systems on applications and interviews. The agencies down this way want 6 months to a years experience so why should it be so different here compared to anywhere else???? I have complained about this situation to the RCN and they have said I am not the only one in this situation. So what is going on??? I think I have waited long enough for a nursing post and im sick of trying to find shifts doing Health Care work to survive. I would like a proper job with holiday, pension and sick pay and the money for the training that I put in. Im not lieing when I say the jobs down here are scarce. If people are prepared to move completely away to find the job of their dreams fine. But I have responsibilities and children to consider its not that easy. If your living with your parents and have no commitments then fine. But its not my case. Things have not got better they are worse especially down this way. Proper reseach is needed before students commit themselves. The qualification means nothing if you end up with something worse than what you trained for and your pin number only lasts a year.
ELAINE
welshgirl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote welshgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2007 at 12:51pm
I have a husband (on a crap low wage), 2 children and a mortgage and I'm going into this with my eyes open. Again thank you for your advice but we all make our own decisions.
Silverdragon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Silverdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2007 at 1:26pm
something similar happened when I qualified in the late 1980's Sometimes if you are prepared to move then you can find work. Things also may improve in time and I know it doesn't help when you are struggling to find work but I wish you well in your struggle and to the OP I wish you well in your studies
fish92 View Drop Down

Quote fish92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2007 at 2:24pm
Welshgirl.
Good luck with your studies and how wise you are.
I wish you all the best and enjoy.
We are all here for support if you need it.
mary View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2007 at 4:13pm
Im not trying to put anybody off nursing. The nursing part was never the problem because I loved my days as a student and before I went into the training. All i am saying to you is the bursary is fine for the three years training but it finishes a month before you qualify. Dont rely on the bursary too much cause when it stops or they start messing about with your bursary thats when you know about it.

Make sure you have another job to tie you over. When you qualify you need money for your pin and then you dont get employed straight away as other students that I am working with now think. It can take a number of weeks. Or in my case 5 months looking for someone to give me the opportunity to prove myself as a trained professional. Its not what everyone expects honest. Their plenty of jobs for nurses that have the number of years experience but not for newly qualified . I was not made aware of this I thought once you got the pin number I would get that job that I had worked 3 years hard graft for but no its not happening and I need the money single parent with 3 kids its bloody hard.
ELAINE
fish92 View Drop Down

Quote fish92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2007 at 4:35pm
Welshgirl >>> go girl.
welshgirl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote welshgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2007 at 4:12pm
Thanks everyone, Fish love your avatar!
karen59 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote karen59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2007 at 12:56pm
welshgirl how is it going? hope you are settling in.

I aam thinking of doing a distance learning course just diploma level as that is my limit and all I can give commitment to.

I shall be goign into work full cold and flu symptoms with little or no voice, some would say that is a blessing. A lot of staff and sevrice users are in the same boat, so it keeps goign round.

Hope eveyrone else in this section are well and good luck to any newbies takign on courses,
karen
fish92 View Drop Down

Quote fish92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2007 at 1:07pm
I love it to thanks.
I am fine after my hospital stay >>> recovering well now i am home.
Good luck with your studies and
karen59 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote karen59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2007 at 3:10pm
fish92 take it easy and recover well, let others do any jobs that need doing, you are most important right now. karen x
fish92 View Drop Down

Quote fish92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2007 at 9:41pm
Thank you hun i will.
davidswift111 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote davidswift111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 10:26am
Get Well Soon Fish92

Dave.
fish92 View Drop Down

Quote fish92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 3:06pm
Thanks guys i really appreciate all the kindness and thanks.
I will try to get better soon.
I feel really weak at the moment and because i aspitated whilst in theatre i have lost my sense of smell(weired).
Dont need to do much and then i am so tired.
Thanks for all the kind words.
karen59 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote karen59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 3:29pm
fish, that means you cant smell my sweaty feet, what a relief lol. Hope your senses come back soon 9sense of smell not sense of common sense)..

sorry tried bit humour not really worked, am still wkaing up from day sleep.

Does anyone wnat my cough cold etc? going for free am fed up of it.

karen x
Pure Maiden View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Pure Maiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 9:14pm
Hello Karen and Fish I am so sorry to hear about what happened to you in theatre

Did you mean aspirated? if so, then I am wondering what you aspirated on hun?

I wish you a speedy recovery and Karen, you need to sleep at every opportunity you get!!!

Sending my regards both your ways!!!!xxxx
welshgirl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote welshgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2007 at 9:06pm
Heello everyone, hope you're all ok

I am shattered this week, sat through loads of boring talks and joined the RCN, my youngest has started school and i'm feeling stressed about kids having to go to breakfast club and afterschool club otherwise i'm fine , thanks for asking Karen, hope you're better soon Fish
 Post Reply Post Reply