Nurserve Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Nurserve and Nursing Community Postings > Student Nurse Life - Student Nurses
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

University Nursing questions

Uniform Dating
 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dean5778 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dean5778 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: University Nursing questions
    Posted: 01 February 2008 at 11:30am
Hi everyone. I have recently applied to university to become an adult nurse. I had my interview last week. I have already received a reply and I'm happy that I've been offered a position for September.

I'm currently doing an Access diploma at my local college. It's really helpful and I've gained some valuable information in regard to my interview questions. I thought I might post these questions on here so some of you guys know what will be expected.

Why do you want to be a nurse?

Why specifically do you want to follow your chosen branch of nursing?

What qualities do you think a nurse should have?

What specific qualities do you have to make an effective nurse?

How will you cope doing essays on placements?

Tell us about a significant issue relating to the NHS you have seen in the media.

Why are MRSA and C.difficile important?

Why is working in a team important?

What are the qualities of effective teams?

Tell us how well you communicate?

How would you deal with a team member you disagree with?

How should you treat patients?

A patient asks you what is wrong with them. What do you tell them?

You are walking down a ward and see a patient struggling to dress themselves. What do you do?

How would you deal with a difficult patient?

If a ward was very busy and everyone was rushing around, what would you do?

***for anyone who is doing the access course***

How well did you cope with your access course?

Did you find any of your access subjects more difficult and how did you deal with this subject?

I didn't get asked all them questions in my interview. And it also depends what university you actually go to. Some even ask for a presentation on a health related subject, or a small essay about a subject of their choice. Again this all depends which uni you apply to. But they do let you know in advance.

Hope this helps you guys. And seriously don't worry. My interview went very smoothly and I was confident because I rehearsed what I was going to say over and over.

Good luck though!

Dean
sam33 View Drop Down

Quote sam33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 2:12pm
Congrats Dean on being accepted - where will you be going? I have just finished my first week and survived!! Good Luck and keep us up to date with whats happening.

xx
dean5778 View Drop Down

Quote dean5778 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 10:43pm
Hi Sam. Well I applied for 3 different choices in Manchester. Salford was the first to contact me, and they were the first to offer me an interview. My teachers on my access to nursing course at college have all said that I should go to Salford as their record and facilities are excellent. And I've seen them too. They are amazing. But I'm not making a decision yet until I've had my other interviews. Which I'm allowed to hold back (as ucas say) until I have all my results.
nikki View Drop Down

Quote nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2008 at 1:33pm
Good on ya hope u do well!
jenxy
clare_26 View Drop Down

Quote clare_26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2008 at 6:46pm
Im a 2nd year now and also got into both manchester's and salford and ended up at manchester met. I am so glad as I have since heard that you get little support at salford whereas you get plenty at manchester. Also salfords cohorts contain over a hundred students and there are only 45 in my intake.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
rav View Drop Down

Quote rav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2008 at 6:57pm
hi dean just joined been on open day at huddersfied uni very nervious saw your list of question and found found them great    im also in 2nd year on acess coarse will be sending ucas forms in the next 2/3wks .
ravi
simonperl View Drop Down

Quote simonperl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 11:31am
Best of luck
Simon Perl
Nursing Jobs
Diana1 View Drop Down

Quote Diana1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2008 at 5:40pm
hey
has anyone had an interview for leeds uni?
Can you possible give me some advice?
Thank you :)
shell75 View Drop Down

Quote shell75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 7:14pm
Well done dean, I am on access course too! just accepted place at salford uni for adult nursin,can't wait til sept.    
leannexxx View Drop Down

Quote leannexxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 9:13pm
hi guys i have a interview at salford uni next month just waiting for manchester met to respond now. xx
shell22 View Drop Down

Quote shell22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 1:10pm
you are a saviour dean!!! i have applied for salford (1st) man and man met, i am currently doing the access to health at pendleton and love it!! i ahave an interview this monday 2nd march and a little nervous...feel happier with the info you have given as i would have crumbled otherwise!!!! cant wait and i really hope i get in! good luck to everyone x
shellbell x
dean5778 View Drop Down

Quote dean5778 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 2:39pm
Hello everyone. I'm glad they are helpfull. You will get into Salford easily.

I have however removed myself from the course three weeks ago. Nursing just wasn't what I expected personally and didn't like it.

I'm going to Man Met in September though, to do Human Biology as a degree. This is more my thing and I can't wait. Already been accepted due to my access course in 2008 having biology part of it.

Good luck to you all though!
SallyB View Drop Down

Quote SallyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 6:22pm
Hi
Has anyone here applied for Greenwich? I was wondering what format their interviews might take and what questions were asked.
Thank You :D
Sally x
Stacey85 View Drop Down

Quote Stacey85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 8:57pm
Hi Leeanne, was jus wondering how ur interview went? I have an interview for Salford on 23rd June, really want to get in!! If you have any advice to give I would be extremely greatful, im so nervous please help!!!
mya_xxxx View Drop Down

Quote mya_xxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2009 at 3:36pm
hi, just need some advise. going into adult nursing, what should i expect...
helen2828 View Drop Down

Quote helen2828 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 6:00pm
hi, i have an interview tomorrow for york uni. i have applied to do adult nursing, im so nervous, but im sure it will be ok right?!
thanks for those question above, it really helped.x
Charlotte21 View Drop Down

Quote Charlotte21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 10:16pm
Hi, I have my interviews for uni next week and i am really nervous, my first one is at york. I will be ok??????? Argh Help
Charlottr
helen2828 View Drop Down

Quote helen2828 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 10:49am
hi, you will be fine. dont sit back and let other talk over you, i found it quite competative, i am now a student at york uni, doing adult nursing...just be yourself. remeber you have to show you can listen as well as take the lead. dont panic about the individual interview, if you dont know the answer or dont no what to say, just say so, i did and they appriciated the honesty. you will get some questions about what qauilitys do you think nurses should have and then probley some little sceanrio questions. but the initerview is only 20mins...trust me it fly's by!! also try an talk to the other interviewees' inbetween sessions...it tends to rest your nerves a little.
good luck!!x...if you make it in you will be in cohort D11!!
Pure Maiden View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Pure Maiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 6:11pm
Fantastic advice all of you and thanks for sharing! Good luck also.
chessie123 View Drop Down

Quote chessie123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 11:39am
Hiyaaa!
I've been accepted into the Uni of Manchester to study adult nursing in sept 2010 :)
Anyone else going?
I'm living from home in my first year too, I live in Lancashire!
xxx
jerryvn01 View Drop Down

Quote jerryvn01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2010 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by helen2828

hi, you will be fine. dont sit back and let other talk over you, i found it quite competative, i am now a student at york uni, doing adult nursing...just be yourself. remeber you have to show you can listen as well as take the lead. dont panic about the individual interview, if you dont know the answer or dont no what to say, just say so, i did and they appriciated the honesty. you will get some questions about what qauilitys do you think nurses should have and then probley some little sceanrio questions. but the initerview is only 20mins...trust me it fly's by!! also try an talk to the other interviewees' inbetween sessions...it tends to rest your nerves a little.
good luck!!x...if you make it in you will be in cohort D11!!

Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Apart from that, this link below may be useful: Nurse interview question
Tks again and pls keep posting.

Edited by jerryvn01 - 30 July 2010 at 12:59am
lstar203 View Drop Down

Quote lstar203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2010 at 10:23am
Hi everyone,
I am starting my access diploma level 3 in September. I cannot wait the only thing I am worried is that I wont get into university. I have heard lots of discussions on the news at the moment that there are only 9000 places at each uni and over 55,000 apply! I have given up a good job to gointo nursing and start my access course I just wondered if anyone can give me any advice as to why I wouldnt get into university I am looking to go to a manchester uni or salford if possible as I have a 2 year old and there closest. I am very determined to succeed and have alot of support from family. I am just worried about getting a place at uni cananyone please give me any advice? Thanks really appreciate it.
Leanne
rennijohn View Drop Down

Quote rennijohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 6:13am
Thanks for the information of university questions of nursing and I think this is very important and useful information.
 Post Reply Post Reply