Nurserve Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Nurserve and Nursing Community Postings > Assistance for Assitants and Auxiliary's
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Need some advice

Uniform Dating
 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lil Baby View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lil Baby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some advice
    Posted: 03 May 2006 at 12:27pm
Hi there ;-)

I live in Dublin and have been offered a place at Uni in London to study nursing this Sept but a condition of my place is that i sit biology at the highest level in the Irish Leaving Certificate exams in 6 weeks then i will have the requirements i need. Problem is im crap at biology but i just need a D and im in. What i wanted advice on is if it all goes belly up and i don't get my D and can't go to my Uni what about Auxillary nursing and getting myself in and qualified this way. I have been looking for info on this because in Ireland there is really only one course which is the degree and it's the only way in to nursing . I have experience as a nursing assistant and am 23.

I would really appreciate any info as there isn't many options in Ireland and nursing is what i was made for

Im working away now but not at what i should be and it's depressing

Help me please

Lots of kudles xxxxx
Lil Jeni
Pure Maiden View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Pure Maiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2006 at 1:34pm
Hi Jeni,

Welcome to Nurserve, just let me think on this one and I will get back to you later

Pure Maiden.
IdahoDennis View Drop Down

Quote IdahoDennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2006 at 9:27pm
Lil Jeni,

For 5 weeks study biology then relax, sit for the exam and go into nursing!!Dont think about what if until it happens.
Dont settle for second. You got the appointment so use it. There's may ways to study, lots of online references and I bet you can get study guides.

Dennis
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Pure Maiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2006 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Lil Baby

I live in Dublin and have been offered a place at Uni in London to study nursing this Sept but a condition of my place is that i sit biology at the highest level in the Irish Leaving Certificate exams in 6 weeks then i will have the requirements i need. Problem is im crap at biology but i just need a D and im in.

I would really appreciate any info as there isn't many options in Ireland and nursing is what i was made for

Biology is my favourite subject, especially Human Biology and If you give me a few pointers at what you are learning, then maybe I can explain it in a way that you can remember!?

I think you are going to be just fine and things will click into place i.e. theory and practice, if you just think in terms of what is going on - clinical symptoms and what the body does and why in response to these symptoms!

Come on and give us a rundown of what you are learning!

Dennis is right and you should not worry too much and see what happens!

Good luck, Pure!

Edited by Pure Maiden
shaz2 View Drop Down

Quote shaz2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 12:23am
study girl, study girl,,, best of luck,,xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx shaz xxxx,,,, i sure you will do it xxx [;)
Lil Baby View Drop Down

Quote Lil Baby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 11:27am
Hi ,

Thanks for you quick responses

All the usual is on the course, DNA and Genetics, the complete human body plus plants and animals and about another 40 chapters

I just haven't been motivated like i should be which makes me disappointed in myself

I have just under 6 weeks so i can pull it out of the bag in that time if i could just get my bloody head together.

I appreciate all your help with this

Thanks a mill

Jeni
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Pure Maiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Lil Baby

All the usual is on the course, DNA and Genetics, the complete human body plus plants and animals and about another 40 chapters

Oh I see! Can't help with the genetics much and as for the plants and animals then I can't remember myself as the last time I did normal biology was some 20 years ago now! , however if you need stuff like pain pathways, kidneys, endocrine, vascular, renal systems etc...then just ask away if you do not understand something or I could post under a new heading and put some pictures there also Just don't ask me about the heart because I just can't get that into my head for some strange reason!!!

Anyway I am sure you will be just fine and if you are not then we will talk about the other options later!!

Good luck!
isy xx View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote isy xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2006 at 2:40pm
what about the QUB in Belfast, does it offer the same??

there's no easy way around studying, uve got loads of time, can u get together with friends n study together??
isy xx
Lil Baby View Drop Down

Quote Lil Baby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2006 at 3:34pm
Hi,

No I have been out of school a few years now and have been working so when i was offered my place in this college they said i needed another higher grade in my school results so i had no choice but to do Biology as it's the 1 i did at the lower level while at school

Im trying to study after work and at weekends but it's slow and annoying but it has to be done

I always wanted to go to Queens, i went for interviews there when i was 18 but got cut in the last round i was pretty down so it made me too nervous to apply again.

Im happy to be going to the UK i need to get away from home and live my life although i will be leaving someone behind i wish i didn't have to but im still excited

I just feel sick with the pressure to pass

Lil Jeni
isy xx View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote isy xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2006 at 8:31pm
dont get yourself too stressed out over this, if its for u, it'll not go past u, thats my motto
get ur head around what u have to study and give it all uve got, remember knowledge is power....it will be exciting for u to move from home etc but its not millions of miles ur going, u'll be able to get home in ur holidays n weekends...always keep in touch with ur family....good luck and stay in touch with us here....
isy xx
Angie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Angie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2006 at 12:33am
Do it, do it, do it God I wish I had, had the chance. Your family will always be there where ever you go or do, pass or fail. You have the rest of your life in front of you, please take it from me go for it !I have so many regrets in my life so many "I wish I had have done's " What have you got to loose. I work as a HCA which is great but I know I would have been a good nurse if I had had the chance. (my father would never allow me to study I had to go out and earn money !)
Angie
Angie
isy xx View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote isy xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2006 at 2:13pm
hi angie, i dont think we've said hello before so hello and welcome to the mad forum
isy xx
isy xx View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote isy xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2006 at 2:14pm
isy xx
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Pure Maiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2006 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by isy xx

Isy, I wonder where you got that waving smiley from?

Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Pure Maiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2006 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Angie

I work as a HCA which is great but I know I would have been a good nurse if I had had the chance. (my father would never allow me to study I had to go out and earn money !)
Angie

So did I and that is why I am doing the training only now at 37 (nearly)!

It is never too late!!!!!!!
Angie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Angie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2006 at 10:22pm

Hi Isy and everyone else,

I have posted a few things over the last few weeks, how could you have missed me!!

If I were 10 years younger I would jump at the chance to do my nurse training, I am now 52 so well past my sell by date. I am happy in my job at the surgery and am able to do most things, bloods, BP's, medicals, audio testing, ECG's, flu jabs, pneumonia jabs, i am a stop smoke adviser, i also assist in minor ops, coil fittings and contraceptive inplants. The Doctors send me on lots of courses which I am happy to go on and they are very supportive. i suppose they are happy for me to do the courses as I am cheaper than a G grade nurse !!!

Happy Days
Angie
Angie
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Pure Maiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2006 at 10:41pm
Angie,

I did not miss you and my previous name was Modette! before I had login problems!!

Trouble is I spend far too much time in here!

Keep posting, we need you!
isy xx View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote isy xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2006 at 9:19pm
angie, angie, how could we have missed u, hello,hello,hello and ur not past ur sell by date, u r a very valuable team member and u always will be...u have life experiences and can relate to both young and older patients...u certaintly have a very varied surgery where u work and u sound soooooooooo happy and work with a very supportive team.......welcome,welcome to this forum.......im 48 n act 28 most days n on bad days i act 18 im in a new job as clinical educational practioner for theatres.....mind blowing stuff...well at the minute i dunno if im coming or going cos it all soooooo very new to me n this job has just been created so i have no structure eyt but im hoping that will come.....bit scared if truth be told but im a worker like everyone else.......so wish me heaps of luck cos believe me i need it
isy xx
karen59 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote karen59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2006 at 10:52am
Hi Angie, sorry some of us have missed you, we should be more observant but well you know how it is, the days and months are flying by and life seems to be so busy, so big apology from me.

Trust me Isy never acts her age, you should see her on a free Saturday night clubbing lol. No one is too old for anything, trust me.

Good luck in all you do, karen
isy xx View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote isy xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2006 at 4:32pm
i trust ya karen.......pure i got the wavy from u, i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee to steal
isy xx
isy xx View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote isy xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2006 at 4:33pm
errrrrrrrrrrr what age am i ment to be karen??????? thats my problem i keep forgettin it lol
isy xx
shaz2 View Drop Down

Quote shaz2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2006 at 11:43pm
well, i`m 40 on tues 23rd,, gosh i feel old,,, hello to angie,, sorry i missed you,,, lil baby hope it all goes well for you xxx
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Pure Maiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2006 at 12:14am
Originally posted by isy xx

i trust ya karen.......pure i got the wavy from u, i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee to steal

OMG!!!!!!

lol

Edited by Pure Maiden
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Pure Maiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2006 at 12:24am
jeni!!

I know your going to be ok!! I was serious about picking my brains and if you need any clarification on a biology matter (human) that is, then I really am here!

take care and just take evey day as it comes!

Edited by Pure Maiden
Lulu View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2006 at 10:19pm
hi jeni

even if you dont achieve the highest grade of biology im pretty sure there are plenty other unis who would be willing to accept you... many dont require taht you have biology... they teach you biology after you start but doing the course no matter what grade you will definately be a huge help to you.

in august all the unis who have not filled their course will offer places through clearing so im sure something will come up in your favour.... maybe even queens.

good luck
Lulu EN RN RM FPC

elaine View Drop Down

Quote elaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2006 at 7:36pm
hey jeni welcome to the site just keep at it and if its what u really want then go for it and reach ur dream doesnt matter how long it taks ul get there
enviroallou View Drop Down

Quote enviroallou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2006 at 11:42pm
Hi jenni

Listen, I went to college and did A levels when I had 4 kids. Sat Human biology A level and chemistry GCSE in one year and then Psychology. Recently sat A level chemistry in a year. Basically, I did what I needed to do, fitting it in around kids and work.
It is sometimes hard- I can honestly say Human Biology was my favourite. I studied for a degree in Environmental Science and then trained as a science teacher. I have taught science to year 7, 8 and 9, physics and biology to year 10 and 11 (GCSE)and biology to year 12 and 13( A level). I have not taught A level since 2001, but I know that with a bit of research and Pure maiden helping, we could give you help with areas you are not that sure about.
What you have to remember Jenni, is that you are still very young and have years ahead of you (I am 39 and applying to do nursing now). Therefore, if you do not get up to the standard you need this year on biology, then you keep working at it for next year. If I could get a B in my Human Biology in one year after being out of education for many years and having children, I am convinced you can do it to. (I can assure you I am not mega intelligent or anything).
Help is at hand now if you want it; if you do not manage the grade this year, we will help you to get there for next. You mustn't give up. You can soooo.. do this. Please believe it.
What you have to remember: If something is worth going for, it is worth working for. Set yourself targets/goals. Look at the course info and the contents you need to cover (your teacher/tutor should provide you with this). Look closely at every little detail, compile a list and tick of what you are confident with, Then start to work through the areas you are not sure about.Plan what and when you will look at each area - be realistic. Don't spend to long on any one area and cover all the areas you need to. (It is a bit like when you actually do an exam - do not spend to much time on one area and you can always go back if you have extra time). As you approach each area, if there is anything that really stumps you, post as many questions as you need to. If you let me know what exam board you are with and exam you are working towards, I will resaerch what the course requirements are.

All the best jenni

Ali xx

Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Pure Maiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2006 at 11:32am
WOW Ali,

I will be asking you for advice in the future! Your soooo...clever!!

Quote enviroallou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2006 at 2:25pm
No Pure

Not clever, but very determined and I work very hard.
When I set my mind to something, I do not give up easily.

Bye
Ali xx
elaine View Drop Down

Quote elaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2006 at 11:30am
How areyou getting on Jeni?the best book you can get for your exam is ross and wilsons anatomy and physilogy ( i cant spell) its advertised on the opening page of nurserve.Let us know how you are getting on.
Lil Baby View Drop Down

Quote Lil Baby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2006 at 1:48pm
I took the exam in June

I worked really hard but was still disappointed in myself as some stuff came up that i hadn't even touched on. There was just so much i was trying to cover as much as possible in the time i had

One good thing was at the end of the exam i was the only one left which i felt was positive cause i wouldn't have done any worse than those who left early as there was plenty to keep me busy for another hour at least

So now im just back at work trying not to think about it but not thinking of anything else

I really don't want to repeat cause i feel i really need to do something productive now, i want to move onward and upward not backward so am thinking maybe i should do something else if i fail like maybe its a sign i wasn't meant to be a nurse ( deep i know ) but im getting nowhere and im not happy im better than that

Listen to me moaning

This is gr8 therapy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lulu View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2006 at 2:54pm
not at all Jeni

loads of folk fail things and go on to pursue their nursing career and can even be very sucessful.... i failed my RGN finals in 1992... but i have gone on with my career and got a bachelor of nursing and batchelor of midwifery both with distinctions and done my family planning certificate getting a merit... so just cos you dont do so well at one point doesnt mean you wont succeed in the future...

i just became more determined that i would succeed and that i wouldnt be put of my course for ANTHING.

you can do it.

good luck hunny.
Lulu EN RN RM FPC

Lil Baby View Drop Down

Quote Lil Baby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2006 at 4:07pm
You never know luck might be on my side and i might pass

That would be the boost of confidence i need

I know its not the end of the world if i fail but i feel pressure to pass as so many people have been supportive and feel so strongly that i will pass i hate the thought of telling them i didn't but thats just my sillyness

Quote enviroallou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2006 at 6:28pm
Jenni

Listen to you
Be Positive - you just don't know what is going to happen.
You may fail - but you may pass. That is a fact and at this stage you can do nothing about it. When you get the results. you will either be celebrating (fingers crossed)
or not.
Worst case scenario - then you will need to think about your next step - hopefully it will be a re-take, cos at the end of the day, it will probably be only a matter of a few % if you do not make it.
Positivity and then focus on the areas you could most do with improving.
But heh! This may never happen - you may pass.
I hope so sweetie

Ali xxx
Common sense is the collection of prejudices
acquired by age eighteen.

Albert Einstein
Lil Baby View Drop Down

Quote Lil Baby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 2:46pm
Hi Everybody

I passed my biology exam a couple of weeks ago

Iwill be starting my course soon, am meant to start in Sept but defered until Jan cause started a new job in the Faculty of nursing at the royal college of surgeons in Dublin

Was thinking of doing my training here next year because i will be a mature student and could go to trinity College which is my lifes ambition and with this new job i will get advice from some really influential people here in Dublin

But also im excited about going to the university of hertfordshire in January too

Just not sure whats right for me

But i passed the stinky biology

YYYYYEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Pure Maiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 3:59pm
Oh Jenni that is fantastic news and very well done to you!!! See you could have worried for nothing

regards Pure.
Lil Baby View Drop Down

Quote Lil Baby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 4:13pm
I know i didn't pass my much but i passed

I also passed a driving test and got a new job in the same week so im a happy bunny
wizbix View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote wizbix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2006 at 4:00pm
Congratulations, but good luck driving in London!
"It is never too late to give up our prejudices.." Henry D Thoreau (1854)
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Pure Maiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2006 at 10:24pm
Well I can only add to the congratulations that Wiz has offered with you passing your driving test!!!! and you passed your exam, take a good look at yourself and make sure you feel very proud for all the hard work that you have done, I cannot imagine that anyone would feel anything other than so chuffed at this point in time and I do so feel that you do not believe in yourself!!!!!

I knew you could do it Jenni!!!!!!

Here is a big welldone from me!!!!!!

Edited by Pure Maiden
Lil Baby View Drop Down

Quote Lil Baby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2006 at 4:19pm
Thanks Everyone

Im getting better with believing in myself sometimes cause i have run of good luck just usually when something good happens to me something bad happens straight after

Completely stupid i know

But thanks for all your support im a step closer now i feel i could climb a mountain

Quote enviroallou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2006 at 12:31pm
Hi Jen

Fabulous work - Remember, there never is any point to looking on the bleak side, particularly before you know the final result; and even if it had turned out bad, there is always tomorrow to improve.
Fortunately, you are a brighter button than you give yourself credit - well done!
Listen to me, I am turning into a right philosopher. I should take a leaf out of my own book though, because I am always thinking the worst will happen to myself.

Good luck with the driving.

Common sense is the collection of prejudices
acquired by age eighteen.

Albert Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply