Uniform Dating
 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
elaine View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote elaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: smoking
    Posted: 23 July 2005 at 9:36am
ok so knowing my luck there will be no smokers on here but this would probably make you all laugh.I was shopping in cheltnam the other day with my mum we went to buy some cigarettes and had to walk quite far to find a shop.on our way back our feet were killing us (fashion before sence).we were lookin for a bench amd there was one where noone seem to sit on it but had another bench with a man and a woman sitting on it.I thought they seem a bit of an odd ball couple maybe hes rich.so we sat down and lit up and he kept looking at us and smiling I thought eww hes a right perve.so with no bins around mum had to put it out on the floor as does everyone else but i was still puffying along then I did the same as there were no bins in that area.we got up and he said im from the council and i clicked right away.he said I don't mind that you smoke but putting it out on the floor is £50 fine each and I said we arnt from here he said there are signs up and he pointed to them fairly small writing on a lamp post in the middle of the highstreet (when ur shopping you just wouldnt notice it).He then made us pick up the butts and walked us a fair bit to the nearest bin.As he told us he wouldnt fine us I didnt want to bring up about the lack of bins and wrongly placed signs.I was in shock and made me want to get out of the town asap.so when ur in cheltnam and if you smoke make sure you put it in the bin.
Modette View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Modette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2006 at 1:54am
Elaine, I just read your  post!

being a very newbie to this site, I had to laugh very loud  as I am a smoker too!

I know the effects of smoking and  I have had a million lectures by the doctor, nurses, surgeons, friends, my own kids and others!

I have a very addictive personality and due to my not so lovely background, I have found this pastime very hard to quit!

I just can't give this habit up!  I have tried the patches, gum and even gone under hypnosis!

Maybe I am just a freak, but I can deal with a 12 and half hour shift and not think about a cigarette, but as soon as I am out of the door I am a complete slave to the habit!!!!

The problem is that I now have a placement in cardiothoracics where they carry out heart and lung surgery!  I know these patients say to me the reason they are in this positon is because they are smokers! but I I am still in denial where I think that will never happen to me!

I know all these facts, but I am still in this frame of mind!

Please, I hope you can help or be stronger than me and quit!

I feel at this point in time, with the added stress of assignments and a placement where I truly feel I do not fit in because of my habit and my understanding of the smoking addictive behaviour, my patients will not learn anything from me!

I feel a fraud and know that what I preach is not necessarily what  I would do for myself!

Anyway, Dont worry too much much about binning your trampled cigarette, as it would cause much more of a to-do if you flicked a  burning cigarette into a  public bin that caught fire.

I have been saying to cigarettes and without them! and more importantly have been feeling like .

I wan't to say and . within the next 4 weeks as I now feel ready to quit!

You need everyone and yourself to quit!

IdahoDennis View Drop Down

Quote IdahoDennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2006 at 4:28am

Elaine, cute story,'bout the lack of a bin. Since I only smoke the ocassional cigar, I dont have that problem. Yet.

Modette, hey I'll be pulling for you to quit. Ive seen to many friends quit then start again. Good luck.

Dennis

linda26 View Drop Down

Quote linda26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2006 at 11:54pm
i dont smoke but found your story quite funny.  i find it veru annoying to see all cig butts lying around but again i know it was not you.  i hear all the time.  i do agree though the signs need to be bigger and bins also.
live today to the full
Modette View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Modette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2006 at 5:45pm
Linda,

I am not allowed to smoke in the grounds of my placement, however I really needed a cigarette this time and I thought I would nip behind one of the 'terrapins' or portacabins as more widely known in this time, only to find a million butts and a sharps bucket full of water,butts and worse syringes!

Trying to quit and all I was disgusted at this and in myself and more importantly the person who had thought a sharps bucket with sharps in it would make a good ashtray! 

I quickly put out my cigarette and I am wondering now if I should report my findings at the cost of admitting I was sneaking a cigarette in this place?

Edited by Modette
Modette View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Modette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2006 at 5:48pm
Sorry Dennis,

I am trying real hard to quit and I feel such a failure to report this finding after my last post!

What would you recommend I shoud do about my findings?.

Edited by Modette

Quote IdahoDennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2006 at 10:59pm

Modette

There should be a way to report the sharps bucket without saying you were out for a cigarette. The sharps buckett is  real hazard.

No one said quiting is easy, set meetable goals, one cigarette less a day for a week, then one less for the next week, and so on.

Good luck.

Dennis

Modette View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Modette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 12:33am
Thanks Dennis,

Sorry for not getting back sooner, but what with the wee one and two rowdy teenagers I have been at full stretch the last two days!

Yes there is a way for me to report the sharps bucket without letting on I was having a sneaky cig, but I have opted for removing the bucket myself and taking in a dustpan and brush to sweep away the evidence!.

Sadly, this is because I still feel the need to have a sneaky smoke because I am not enjoying my placement and the stress levels are high  If I alerted the appropriate people they would then put this area on the agenda to check regularly.

I have been to the chemist and he has provided me with extra stong patches to help with my addiction.

"Keep on keepin on" Modette

Edited by Modette
linda1979 View Drop Down

Quote linda1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 10:49pm

surely modette all  work places at the moment should have a designated place to smoke and allow you to go out during your shift when you are allowed.  as at the moment the full smoking ban isnt out.

however, i feel personally you should probably of told them about it. it should never of happened in the first place.  they are in the wrong.  dont be afraid to say you rpoint you can be diplomatic about it.  hopefully they will take it on board that you are trying to stop them from having reprocussions from dangerous situations.

This is only my opinion and of course you have to do what you feel is right so good luck in what ever you do in the future. 

life is what you make it not what you expect
linda1979 View Drop Down

Quote linda1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2006 at 10:51pm

as you for you cleaning it up what would of happened if you had gained a needle stick injury.  ??????? who would of been to blame.  ????  not a question i would like to bet on.  anyway good for you for taking care of the hazard.

im gonna give up now as im rambling good nite. xx

Modette View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Modette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2006 at 9:11pm
Thanks Linda,

I think this hospital recruits non-smokers and this is ideal in the real world, but it obviously has some smokers left judging by the evidence.  There is no designated area for smokers in this hospital and thus has driven those who do to go underground or more apt behind!

Yes you are right about the needlestick injury, but it only meant holding the sharps bin by the handle and disposing it in the appropriate locked sharps wheelybin.  Thankfully I did not get injured and it is sorted now.

The people on my ward seem not to take their breaks because of being able to make tea and coffee in the nurses station/room which is fantastic if you don't smoke!

I have done really well today and have been chewing the gum instead of the patches as they cause me to itch and leave a big red square patch where they have been, obviously I am allergic to something in the adhesive. 

Back home now after 12 and a half hour shift and sadly enjoying a cigarette whilst typing this

I suppose there is no hope for the wicked.

Anyway take care and thanks for your reply!
linda1979 View Drop Down

Quote linda1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2006 at 9:34pm
well well done for lasting the shift.  I went through a patch of smoking but didnt like it so eventually gave up. i kept looking at pictures of people who had died through smoking and looking at pics of their insides etc  that are through training videos.  it soon put me of and i stopped.  good luck with it. 
Modette View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Modette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2006 at 9:44pm
Have reduced from about 20 a day to 4 when working in three weeks, I just wish for busy days as that keeps the urge down.

Still, have got to admit I do like it or at least I have probably trained myself into thinking I like it.  Maybe I should see one of those therapists who try and correct your ways of thinking, a bit like the therapy they offer mental health patients to correct negative thoughts to positive (can't think of what it is called at the mo), maybe Karen knows what it's called?

Anyway, cheers Linda.

Quote IdahoDennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2006 at 4:33am

Modette

Way to go!!!! Cutting down from 20 to 4!!! SO stay at four a while! Celebrate!! Then work on 3 a  day for a while.

I do actually enjoy my cigars, usually with an Islay Scotch! When Im outside and with a "ton" of time to enjoy both, usually reading Ian Rankin or watching my trains circle the backyard.

Modette, Im proud of you, keep at it girl!

Dennis

Modette View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Modette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2006 at 4:39pm
Thanks Dennis,

I suppose at least with cigars you do not inhale the smoke? Can't really see myself switching to be honest.

hollyhamine View Drop Down

Quote hollyhamine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 1:11pm
With the help of some topic which covers harmful effects of smoking i want to warn smokers :
Every day from two smokers one smoker die due to smoking.And half of the smokers die in middle age.Smoking be the cause for heat attacks. Due to smoking blood circulation in body get slower.One of the more powerful reason for cancer is smoking. And these all only of short time effect but by the time it turns into long time disease and sometime it turns into incurable.

Post Reply Post Reply