Nurserve Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Nurserve and Nursing Community Postings > Student Nurse Life - Student Nurses
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

tips for placements

Uniform Dating
 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
elaine View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote elaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tips for placements
    Posted: 17 July 2006 at 12:23pm
Going on placement can be such a daunting time for everyone.Here is a section where we can provide tips that has helped us get through placement and hopefully provide a guide for getting the most out of our placements.
elaine View Drop Down

Quote elaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2006 at 12:38pm
I think firstly contacting the placement and making a visit before you go is really important.It can help put your mind at rest , allow you to meet your mentor and clients/ patients.Also check out your route to placement and time how long it takes.

Go with a plan of action.Write out a plan of what you need to achieve and also things you would like to experience and gain further knowledge about.Then ask your mentor how you can achieve your outcomes at this placement.

Think of places you would also like to do a day visit with maybe spend time in another ward, child protection, diabetic nurse etc.Things that can be tied in with this placement and help you gain further knowledge.

Keep a reflective diary eachday stating what youve learnt what went well what didnt work well and how you can improve.On major aspects on the placement it maybe best to do reflective essays.

Research.It is always best to research if you are learning something new and this can help build up your portfolio.

Make sure you book in time with your mentor maybe once a week to keep a check of how things are going.DO NOT be affraid to ask your mentor however small it may seem and if you don't understand how to do something seek advise.

Make sure you can get allotted study time if you have assignments whilst you are at placement maybe justa few hours a week.Also ask if you can vary your time to suit you especially if you have a long way to travel.

blacktowerno1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote blacktowerno1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2006 at 3:00pm
some really good and important advive there...
save the best till last!!
wizbix View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote wizbix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2006 at 5:17pm
I agree. planning ahead on a placement is vital. making sure you have a good plan already in mind is also extreemely useful.

i also find it useful to give my new mentor my CV, that way they have a good idea as to my experience level. I find that this reduces the likely hood that I am treated as if I am new to the field i a studying in. If your lucky your cv may even impress your new mentor.
"It is never too late to give up our prejudices.." Henry D Thoreau (1854)
elaine View Drop Down

Quote elaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2006 at 6:55pm
thats an excellent idea i didnt think of that wiz.
fish92 View Drop Down

Quote fish92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2006 at 7:16pm
I do a learning contract and pop in my experiences and my strenghts and weaknesses, so i can improve on these with my mentors help.
I also include what it is i want to acheive on the placement and how my mentor may be able to help me acheive this.
The mentor signs and so do i and we arrange a suitable review date to access my learning outcomes.
Just a few ideas.
elaine View Drop Down

Quote elaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2006 at 7:19pm
thanks fish I had forgotten those.
Annie 72 View Drop Down

Quote Annie 72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2006 at 7:03pm
It just two weeks til my first ever placement!!!!, not sure what to expect to be honest, hopefully I will learn loads and be able to relate it to my assignment!
rennijohn View Drop Down

Quote rennijohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 6:31am
This is very important and good idea. This is useful for the placement.
 Post Reply Post Reply