Nurserve Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Nurserve and Nursing Community Postings > Assistance for Assitants and Auxiliary's
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Info Required.

Uniform Dating
 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
shenniko View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote shenniko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Info Required.
    Posted: 09 January 2007 at 11:17am
Hi,

Im not sure if this is the right place to ask the question or if anyone here knows the answer.

but im basically trying to find out any information i can for my Girlfiend who works as a Care Assistant for a Residential Home.

She is currently employed as Part Time and is studying her NVQ level 3 within the Residential home.

Now i know a little bit about employment laws and what your employer can and cant do, but apparently there are some exceptions for people who work in her industry.

I know that staff within this Industry are also greatly "abused" with their rights.

Some things that i believe her employer is breaking the law on, please correct me if im wrong:-

Hours of work, with the EU law, i know that your not supposed to work more than 40 or 48 hours a week, though you are allowed to opt out of this law if you want to.. But this has to be signed and agreed by both the employer and the employee.

Working hours between shifts, i know that with EU law you are supposed to have 11 hours between shifts. So if my girlfriend finished work at 10pm she would not be allowed to start work again until 9am.

Is there anywhere on the net that i can find working hour laws and the such for care assistants, and bascially what she can do (if anything) about this?

Thanks

Shenn

Pure Maiden View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Pure Maiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2007 at 7:06pm
Hello Shenn,

I do not know the answer to your question, but I feel sure someone here may be able to help, I do have a book about the legal aspects of nursing and will try and see if it contains the info you require

Kush View Drop Down

Quote Kush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2007 at 10:55am
Working hours between shifts, i know that with EU law you are supposed to have 11 hours between shifts. So if my girlfriend finished work at 10pm she would not be allowed to start work again until 9am.

Hi Shenn - This is a question I recently brought up with my manager in the home where I work, and she has said that the rest period between shifts is only eight hours - [I believed it to be eleven hours too] ....... I know it was eleven hours when I worked for the NHS, so perhaps it differs in the private sector?!! although I would have imagined that the EU laws were the same for whichever sector one worked!!

Kush
fish92 View Drop Down

Quote fish92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2007 at 12:21pm
I worked(student) in many NHS wards and finish work at 21.00 and back on duty at 07.30 in the morning and i do think this is still the norm on most wards.
When i was a HCA it was the same.
Pure Maiden View Drop Down
Super Nurserve
Super Nurserve

Quote Pure Maiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2007 at 12:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply